Saturday, April 4, 2009

Stuffed Artichokes

I posted a few pictures of stuffing artichokes on my Facebook page and received quite a few comments so I decided to devote this post to it. My mama (also known as Aunt Helen) has made stuffed artichokes for Easter for as long as I can remember. The recipe will be included too.






Aunt Helen's Stuffed Artichokes
These rascals take a while to prepare but the beauty of them is that they freeze very well and I think make them even tastier. I won't admit that I am just slowing down. A friend of Uncle Pat, namely Bill Bergeron's mother taught me how to make these years ago.
12-24 artichokes; remove stems and cut thorns from leaves. (it's nice if you have a friend do this for you.)
Wash well and steam for about 10 minutes to open leaves. (easier to stuff)
STUFFING FOR 12
Please excuse my measurements: In a very large bowl combine:

1 large ziplock (gallon size) bag full of chopped green onions
1 quart size ziplock bag of chopped garlic
1 to 1 ½ boxes of Progresso Italian bread crumbs (24 oz. box)
7 oz. Grated Parmesan cheese
7 oz. Shredded Parmesan cheese
Chopped Shallots
Chopped Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil
Lemon (sliced)

Moisten mixture with olive oil. (It will feel like moist sand running through your fingers.) I usually make more of this, on purpose, so I can use later to top casseroles Great to share at covered dish dinners. Don't forget to be generous with the olive oil. I am not sure exactly how much to use. I get my olive oil at SAMS so that may be a clue. You can freeze this mixture.

Okay you are ready to stuff the leaves. Go from the bottom to the top. Use a teaspoon and put your artichoke in a soup dish because you are going to have a lot of spillage. When finished filling the leaves, pack a nice hand full on top of each artichoke and place your artichoke on a quartered paper-towel then in a square of aluminum-foil. Mold foil around artichoke leaving top open. You will have some fold down of foil but that will be used later. Drizzle more olive oil on top of artichoke and place a slice of lemon on top. You are ready to steam for 2 hours, checking water level at 1 hour. When they are finished (test for tenderness - some chokes are larger than others), let cool and wrap remaining foil around the artichoke and freeze. Use more foil or saran wrap to make sure they are air tight if you are freezing. You can decide if you want to double recipe. I usually do mine 12 at a time since they can be frozen. I am usually tired after 12 and do the rest another time. Enjoy!

No comments: